How to change a private event to a public one
An event on Facebook is a quick way to inform about an organized event, an upcoming concert or professional workshop. It also makes it easier to find and inform people who we want to invite to our event. How to create an event on Facebook and how to change a private event to a public one – you will learn in this guide.
Step by step creating a Facebook event
- To create an event, log in to your profile and go to the Facebook homepage.
- On the left side of the screen, find the „Explore” tab and select „Events”.
- We will be redirected to the panel where we will find a button with the words „Create event” (blue frame).
- We click on it and select the status of the event availability for other users – private or public.
- In the case of a private event, only guests invited by us or people added by guests (after being approved by the creator of the event) will see the event.
- In turn, the public event will be displayed to all Facebook users and will appear in the search engine .
Facebook event – what’s next?
After selecting the ” Private event ” option , a window will appear in which we must complete the information about our event. We can upload a photo or video that will represent the event on its site. Facebook also offers ready-made themes that we can use to make the event stand out . Then we specify a short name of the event, which cannot exceed 64 characters. We also enter the location – a city or a specific place or the exact address where our event, collection or other activity will take place.
The next step is to prepare a description of the event on Facebook , which will explain what the guests can expect, what will be necessary to participate, whether there is a payment for parking, etc. Below, we select the date and time of our event, which we can also supplement with the planned end time – thanks to this, guests will be able to determine whether they can stay until the end or whether they need to organize some means of transport for their return.
An interesting option is the ability to add a detailed schedule in which we can enter what exactly will happen during an event at certain times. Thanks to this, we can logistically divide our event into several parts and inform the participants about its exact course.
How to create a Facebook event
The last step is to enter the names and surnames of the co-organizers (if any) and then choose the privacy settings for the Facebook event . We can decide whether the list of participants will be displayed to users and consent to guests to invite friends. When all the fields are completed, click the ” Create private event ” button .
Our Facebook event is now live and we can start inviting users to attend. We need to provide a bit more information in the case of a public event.
Then we have to specify who is the official organizer of the event and whether admission tickets are required. We also complete tags that will help you find the event in the search engine. We also choose the category of the event – eg „Charity” or „Music”.
Can we change the status of the event from private to public?
IF WE HAVE CREATED A PRIVATE EVENT AND THEN DECIDE THAT WE WANT TO ALLOW WIDER ACCESS TO THE EVENT, UNFORTUNATELY IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO DIRECTLY CHANGE THE AVAILABILITY STATUS.
However, we can easily bypass this obstacle by using the „Duplicate event” option.
- To do this, go to the „Events” panel (as before, you can find it in the „Explore” tab).
- Then click on our event and go to its home page.
- Under the name of the event you will find buttons: „Invite”, „Edit” and ellipses. We click the latter and select the „Duplicate event” option.
- A window will appear in which we can create a second, identical event – but with a different availability status.
- We choose the option „Create public event”. Then all information from the private event is copied to a new window.
- All we have to do is complete the missing data and our event gains public status.
It can now be viewed by all users and commented on by them in the discussion. By using this option, we can also, if necessary, change some information about the event – for example, the time or the exact location.