Visit a porn site and you’ll infect the hardware – true or false?

130

Perhaps the most popular advice for avoiding a virus is avoiding adult sites. Let us consider how true this is.

Adult content sites are hugely popular. According to a report  prepared by SimilarWeb, 3 of the 20 most visited websites in the world are related to pornography. Two of them are following the heels of such giants as Facebook, YouTube, as well as the largest search engines: Google and Chinese Baidu. PornHub is in 14th place between Instagram and Yandex. These are the statistics. We also learned that 28.5 billion people visited these sites in 2017. That’s over 81 million a day!

Do porn sites serve up malware?

Do adult websites really take advantage of so many visitors to spread malicious programs? Of course not – their creators earn money by displaying materials and advertisements. Viruses, Trojans, and other malware could harm customers, which is the last thing these sites would want.

Steal viewers or attract your own

However, cybercriminals do not care about other people’s business models and are happy to take advantage of the popularity of XXX sites: every now and then they hack porn assets or ad platforms where the banners are placed.

As a result, fans of adult movies end up on „dating sites” that trick them into submitting sensitive information or downloading fake apps that steal whatever they can.

This does not mean that harmful porn sites do not exist – of course, new sites are created every now and then, and their purpose is to trick or infect visitors. However, they are quite small and unknown. Some adult content applications are designed to capture user data. As you know – you will not find them in official stores.

This harmful activity is not strictly related to pornography. The key here is demand . The scammers use the same techniques wherever there are many visitors or downloaders. Malicious programs are equally eagerly placed on well-known websites,  Google ads , and even projects  published on the GitHub platform. The websites pretending to be technical support provided by IT companies, such as Microsoft, are also quite popular .

Malicious programs for the Android platform also exist. 25% of them are related to porn  – not a huge percentage. On the other hand, the remaining 75% has nothing to do with adult content, so you cannot be considered 100% safe because you don’t have any apps of this type on your smartphone.

Summary

What is the conclusion? The dangers to be avoided on porn sites are not very different from those you can meet anywhere else in cyberspace. And if so, you can follow the known methods of protection:

  • Install all operating system and browser updates without delay, and use only official sources.
  • Don’t click on suspicious links or be tempted by banner ads.

It is worth emphasizing that malicious programs are not the default threat that is inherent in pornography sites. Of course, the risk of infection exists – but it is always there, on all sites and in all applications, even those from a completely different field. No matter what you are looking for, common sense will help you avoid problems. And it’s best if you help him with solid protection in the form of a program.